Monday, April 18, 2005

The Self itself

"...you cannot tickle yourself, tickle involves a neurological self/nonself discrimination..."
(Laughing, Tickling, and the Evolution of Speech and Self
By Robert Provine
Current Directions in Psychological Science
Vol 13(6), Dec 2004, pp. 215-218)

If you cut out the mythological narratives of naturalism and focus on actual empirical observations it sure cuts down on drivel. But the Self is interesting. You could think, "I bet I can tickle myself!" and try to tickle yourself, I suppose. You can also try to think without words, lest there be a voice or two in your head! What with voices in the head, the manufacturers of madness may say that you are insane. They are the Soul Doctors, so they know. I wonder, perhaps those who deny a dialogue between Conscience and Self are a little insane in their Selves.

Try thinking with words..."Why, now I am talking to my Self again. I probably shouldn't be doing this, lest I think a naughty thought! I guess it is fortunate that I am pure, pure as the driven snow. Now what shall I have my Self think about....but myself? That is always quite a popular topic for my thoughts!"

No comments: