Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Interesting comment...

Perhaps I am off base, but I would assume that most of you are more established, somewhat older individuals. Keeping this in mind, I figured that I would respectfully chime in with my opinion, as a recent college grad and early career professional.
Something that I see missing from a lot of the discourse occuring at this, and other sites, is a realistic view of the current job market for young and/or entry-level job seekers. Being the great grandson of sharecroppers, and the greatnephew of a woman who literally drove those who refused to take the bus during the Montgomery boycott, I understand the power of opportunity. I won merit based scholarships, that allowed me to attend very prestigious schools, and worked the whole way through as well. I understand that nothing is given, and dues always have to be paid.
That being said, this economy is not what it was when you guys were looking for jobs. Employers know that they have us, for lack of a better phrase, by the balls. Unemployment is high, and if we didn't know we all weren't special snowflakes before, we sure do now. People with Masters Degrees are happy to get a job in retail. The s*** has hit the fan. It is BRUTAL out there.
Do you guys understand that nothing can be taken for granted anymore? I was literally told by a former boss that one should not apply for a job today that you aren't comfortable doing forever. "Entry level" is becoming more of a misleading misnomer day after day. Raising the minimum wage doesn't just help unskilled or, as it has been suggested here, unmotivated, workers. Most entry-level jobs here in Chicago requiring a Bachelors, pay no more than $12/hr. Only $3/hr more than the increased hike.

From this article.  I didn't actually read the article because the first paragraph seemed like a joke: 
 BARACK OBAMA has long made income inequality a central theme of his second-term agenda. He has already tackled inequality from the top by preserving tax cuts for everyone but the rich. In his address to Congress on February 12th, he dealt with it from below, proposing to raise the federal minimum wage by 24%...

Trickle-up economics

 

Lol... SERIOUSLY?


No comments: