Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Churchill's Judgment

On Hitler,
This wicked man, the repository and embodiment of soul-destroying hatred, the monstrous product of former wrongs and shames.

If Hitler were to invade Hell, I would find occasion to make a favorable reference to the devil.
On Charles DeGaulle,
What can you do with a man who looks like a female llama surprised when bathing?
On Japan,
It becomes stil more difficult to reconcile Japanese action with prudence or even sanity.
On his political opposition,
He delivers his speech with an expression of injured guilt.

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.

There but for the grace of God goes God. (Churchill, when seeing his opponent pass by.)
On another politician,
A modest man, who has much to be modest about.

He's a sheep in sheep's clothing.
An opponent fights back,
Nancy Astor, "Winston, if I were your wife, I would put poison in your coffee."

"Nancy, if I were your husband, I would drink it."

As quoted in: (Distory: A Treasury of Historical Insults
By Robert Schnakenberg)




There is no winning a war of wit with some fellows.

No comments: